Skip to main content

Slab Stage

My Slab was meant to be poured Friday 27th June. However, Victoria was hit by a 'weather bomb', few days before hand and my site was absolutely drenched. According to my slab supervisor, a digger had to be dug out of another site. So all work stopped for the week and, needless to say, slab pour did not happen on Friday.

Luckily the following few days only had light patches of rain and the subbies worked overtime on the weekend to prepare the site for slabbing. 

After the rain stopped, they dug out the top soil and replaced it with crushed rock to keep the site dry. See the mountain of dirt at the back? Hope they remember to remove it!

Here's the trenches for the strip footing by my front porch

All the lines have been marked by this roll of string

All boxed, waffle pods, steel in, and ready for pouring 

Drove by at the crack of dawn, Tuesday 2nd July. The concreting was just about to begin. 

Here's the finished product!


All in all, I'm pretty happy about the slab. It's about 50cm thick in some places so the house doesn't feel as low as the original cut anymore. 

I pre-arranged my own independent inspectors to make sure the slab was okay. The company I chose was Houspect (http://www.houspect.com.au/). Out of the three companies I rang, these guys were the most helpful and pleasant to deal with over the phone. 

Here's what the defects part of the report says: 

IDENTIFIED DEFECTS REQUIRING ATTENTION 

  1.  Rear alfresco measures 13445 millimetres and 13420 as shown on plan. 
  2. The step down to the alfresco varies from 150 to 135 millimetres and needs to be addressed. 
  3. Slab finish to garage is not smooth and requires attention. 
  4. Security fencing is missing a section at the neighbours’ property and needs to be replaced. 


NOTES 
  • The finish and workmanship of the slab is generally to a satisfactory industry standard, except for the defects noted above


I went to measure the step downs, and sure enough they are a bit uneven. Here's the measurements for the alfresco, going from 15cm on the left to 13.5cm near the middle and 14cm on the right. 


None of these are big issues but I have forwarded them on to my BC for clarifications. I will wait for their response before paying the slab invoice.  I have also asked for the Piers, Pre-Slab, and Slab Steel inspection reports which were required to be carried out as per the building permit


Also, I noticed that the plumbing for my powder room toilet and shower has been sealed. I assume there's a good reason for this so am just waiting to ask the Site Supervisor. 


Pre Slab:
Post Slab:

I am also keeping a track on my water meter. They've used 2.61 kilolitres of water so far which ,at about $3 per kilolitre, is less than $9. Pretty good. 


Comments

  1. waste pipes are capped to protect debris falling in and smell leeching from neighbouring properties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah.. makes sense about the smell! It was already capped though pre-slab. Guess they don't need the pipe to be sticking out for the toilet or shower base.

      Delete
  2. So what happened regarding the slab defects? Were they addressed? did they fix them? This is the bit I am the most confused about. Sure, the inspection tells you about the defects but what happens after is what I would like to know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interior Paint - Wattyl Winter Mushroom

Painting is complete. We've gone for the grey finish to the walls. Here's how the Winter Mushroom looks. Originally we thought of doing white for the architraves and doors but got convinced by the colour consultant to use the same paint all round. Was a bit worried at first but it has come off nicely. 

Cedar Plank Palandri Carpets Laid

Carpets were laid just before Christmas except for the master bedroom which was getting its squeaks fixed .  We picked the Palandri Category 2 carpets in Cedar Plank colour. Nothing too fancy as Category 2 was the included freebie and we didn't want to pay the Porter Davis premium for upgrades. Figured when it's better to let the kids wear out this one and replace it in a few years time at a much cheaper cost per square metre. Here's a roll of carpet. The most excited I've ever been to see a roll of carpet :)

PCI Checklist

My Practical Completion Inspection is on in about 12 hours time! Here's a comprehensive checklist I've copied from the Homeone forums.