Skip to main content

Home Network Plans

Just realised I have not posted my home network plans, so here it is. I've purchased the 8 port pack because the 24 pack was overly pricey ($3897 for 24 pack vs $1402 for 8 pack!) and there was no sane number in between (you can not just add 1 or 2 more ports to the 8 port pack).

Ground Floor:

You can see I've put the network router / switch in the store room. The 8 port wall plate and cables coming out of it to the router are pretty fugly, so it is best to keep it hidden and tucked away. 

Each room which will have a TV gets a port. I will extend these with a switch in each room to connect the multitude of other network devices (xbox, apple tv, etc)

The family room on the bottom right corner might be the kids 'homework' room so that's getting a network point. 

The study gets a port for obvious reasons.

The garage gets a network point in case I need to plug my future flying car there for faster firmware updates... and in case, for whatever reason, the NBN can not get connected to my store room, it can get connected to my garage. 

First Floor:

The first floor is very minimal. There is one in the rumpus where the TV might be. There is another one in my master study / retreat. I've deliberately avoided putting network points in the kids rooms because I'm a firm believer that they should not be using their computers in their rooms. With all the cyber bullying and internet nasties, studies show it is easier to manage if computers are out in the open.

If I really need more points to the upstairs in the future, I can always DIY by adding an extra switch the roof and run extra cables out of that. Save $$$ :)

Update 23/09/14: My network cables are in! Confirmed they are cat6. All 8 cables are fed up to the roof and then routed back downstairs to each of the points. Makes it even easier to add more ports in the future! It should be straight forward to feed more cables down to the router.

Comments

  1. Great thinking. On a side note, why have you put all of your bedrooms on the one heating zone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying reading your blog as we are building a similar home with PD very shortly. Can I please ask what you paid to upgrade your insulation? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn, Thanks for reading my blog :) I didn't upgrade the insulation. I figured if it meets today's strict 6 star energy ratings, it must be pretty well insulated already :P Quotes I've had during tender ranged from $2000 - $4000, depending on what you upgrade to obviously.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interior Paint - Wattyl Winter Mushroom

Painting is complete. We've gone for the grey finish to the walls. Here's how the Winter Mushroom looks. Originally we thought of doing white for the architraves and doors but got convinced by the colour consultant to use the same paint all round. Was a bit worried at first but it has come off nicely. 

Cedar Plank Palandri Carpets Laid

Carpets were laid just before Christmas except for the master bedroom which was getting its squeaks fixed .  We picked the Palandri Category 2 carpets in Cedar Plank colour. Nothing too fancy as Category 2 was the included freebie and we didn't want to pay the Porter Davis premium for upgrades. Figured when it's better to let the kids wear out this one and replace it in a few years time at a much cheaper cost per square metre. Here's a roll of carpet. The most excited I've ever been to see a roll of carpet :)

PCI Checklist

My Practical Completion Inspection is on in about 12 hours time! Here's a comprehensive checklist I've copied from the Homeone forums.